|Photo from: truroots.com|
Easy Sprouted Bean Salad
- 1 cup dry beans (Tru Roots Organic 3-Bean Mix)
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 an onion, diced OR several green onions (tops and all) diced
- 1/2 cup chopped herbs (I used parsley as that's what I had)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- juice of one lemon
- olive oil
- 1 - 2 tsp sugar or agave nectar
- Cook beans - ratio is 3:1; combine in a pot, bring to a boil; cover and simmer on low-medium heat for about 5 minutes; remove from heat and let sit for at least 10 minutes; drain
- Rinse beans under cold water until they are cool or at least room temperature
- Place diced cucumber and onion, herbs and beans in a bowl and mix well
- Add the cumin and lemon juice
- Drizzle in olive oil and stir - add salt, pepper (both to taste) and sugar
- Mix well - serve immediately or refrigerate and serve when ready
- You could make this raw by soaking the beans ahead of time - when they are tender prepare as above. Just be sure to rinse thoroughly after soaking.
- Add or subtract anything from this dish - I was going to add celery but ours had turned very soft and wasn't crunchy enough for salad. I also think chickpeas would be excellent in this dish.
- This served my family of 6 as a side dish with about 1.5 cups leftover for lunch tomorrow. I would estimate serves 6 as a side dish or 3-4 as a main dish, although so much depends on the size of the veggies one uses... If I were eating this for my one-and-only dish I would then say serves 2-3.
Self: "Hey, this is good. Good!"
The Spouse: "Mhmm. This would be even better on a hot day."
The Sous-Chef: "I think this is spicy, but I really like it." (She thinks it's spicy because the onion was pretty strong.)
The D.Q.: "I like this (pointing to the main dish), but THIS (pointing to the bean salad) is my favorite!"
Miss U.N.: "Mommy. I really like this - can we have this for lunch?"
Wild Thing: "I think this is spicy, too. Can I have more?"